Sunday, May 24, 2015

DIY: Wall mount that monitor and hide those cables!

I recently purchased the Dell U3415W when it went on sale and I must say it is only beautiful monitor. Only thing missing, or not missing, was the wires. I decided to wall mount the monitor just like our TVs and hide the wires behind the wall.

Shopping List

Ultra Thin Monitor Mount - Amazon
Toggler Drywall Anchors ( up to 143 lbs.) - Amazon
5/16 Drill Bit - Amazon
Wiremold Wall Grommet Kit - Amazon

First thing I did was to make sure the mount actually fit into the U3415W. The VESA mount for the U3415W is a little bit recessed into the monitor. I had to use 3 washers per screw to get it offset enough so that mount attached to the wall doesn't scratch the back of the monitor. I used the screws attached to the monitor to secure the mount.




Now that I have that taken care of, time to move onto securing the mount to the wall. The wall didn't have studs right where I needed it so I used the plastic drywall anchors to secure the mount. I measured where I wanted it and drill a 5/16" hole for the anchors. For the anchors to work you need to collapse the tabs, insert the anchor, then pop the tab with an include red plastic tool. Super easy and secure!



It was sitting a little too low for my liking so I moved it up.

Test fit. Perfect!

 Time to hide those wires. I used the Wiremold kit instead of the old work boxes I used before. It seemed way simpler than cutting the drywall with a saw. Plus, it includes everything you need to install it!


I attached the include hole saw to my drill. The hole saw and arbor include in the kit sucks. I started drilling my hole and the hole saw kept getting jammed! Finally, after constantly re-tightening the arbor, I finally got the two holes cut. I ran my wire and popped the covers on. I must say I am not a big fan. Once the plastic white covers are on, there is almost no way to get it out besides unscrewing the green plastic mount. I had to run my DisplayPort cable and unscrewed the bottom mount and lost one of the clips. Boo.


Time to mount the monitor!
As you'd expect from an ultra thin mount, there is not much room to work with to install the cables. I layed the monitor face down on the desk, installed the cables and backplate, then mounted the monitor. Overall, took about 1 hour to get everything drilled, mounted, and pretty looking. I think hiding the wires and wall mounting everything gives the overall office a clean, sleek look.



Update: 5/25/2015

After some major scolding from reddit about having the power cable tucked into the low voltage boxes, I decided to stop being lazy and install a recessed outlet.

Materials

Cooper Wiring Recessed Outlet - Amazon
Old work box - Amazon
14/2 Romex - Amazon
Low-profile power cable - Amazon

Check your local electrical code before attempting the install. The receptacle was easy to install since I already had wires running behind the wall. All I had to do was tap off the existing power outlet under the desk and run wire up. Only issue so far is there is no room for a regular power cable because it hits the back of the monitor. I ordered a Low-profile power cable and will update once it comes in.


Update: 5/25/2015

The low-profile cable finally came in! With the monitor up, there is about 1-2mm of space. I couldn't even take a picture of  the fitment that's how close they are. Now that this project is complete(and up to code), time to think of something else..


2 comments:

  1. The good thing about having a monitor mounted to the wall is that it saves space. It also looks so much better aesthetically, and you are free to mount it as high as you want. Wiring can be a problem, especially if they get tangled up and messy, defeating some of its original purpose. That said, I really like how you dealt with that particular problem. It must have cost a great deal of time, but it looks seamless and neat, so I think it was worth the effort. Good job!

    Cordia Remsen @ RBSMN

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always mount my monitors and TV's because it saves space, especially when you live in a small house, and it keeps my wife happy because she's not tripping over the wires for all my gadgets. You actually did it almost the same way I do, except I wasn't as neat. Excellent job, I think I'll do my monitor again using this example.

    Jeanmarie @ RVM

    ReplyDelete